Blotter: Stolen car recovered the next day

A 2003 silver Acura RSX Hatchback was reported stolen from Parking Structure 1 at 8:28 p.m. on Oct. 3, according to University Police Lt. Richard Goodwin.

The car was recovered the following day around 8:30 p.m. by the Los Angeles Police Department, along with help from the city’s Department of Transportation, Goodwin said.

According to Goodwin, the car was found “partially stripped,” with its rear seat, shifter nob and parts of the trunk’s interior missing.  He said that the car’s steering column was also broken, which was likely done to jump-start the car.

Goodwin said that most of the cars stolen from campus end up in the Los Angeles area. Once the LAPD recovered the car, University Police and the car’s owner were notified, Goodwin said.

Man arrested for public intoxication at Parkside College

A man was arrested for public intoxication at P Building in Parkside College Commons around 5: 30 a.m. on Saturday, Goodwin said.

Goodwin said that the intoxicated man, 22-year-old Christopher Vargas, had given police a fake name and refused to return to go inside the building.  After confirming his real name, police found that Vargas was not a student and did not match the dorm roster, Goodwin said.

University Police arrested Vargas and took him to Long Beach City Jail, Goodwin said.

$1,500 briefcase stolen from the Nugget

A student reported that his black Louis Vuitton briefcase, valued at $1,500, was stolen from the Nugget Grill and Pub at 12:41 p. m. on Monday, Goodwin said.

The suitcase contained a book and other miscellaneous school supplies, Goodwin said. He said the student did not file an official police report.

Disruptive student not allowed to take exam

University Police responded to a report of a disruptive student during a class in Liberal Arts building 5 at 10:03 a. m. on Oct. 3, Goodwin said.

According to Goodwin, the student’s instructor refused to let her take an exam and asked her to leave.

By the time police arrived at the scene, the student was gone, Goodwin said.

Parking Structure 2 graffitied by suspect

University Police responded to a report of graffiti on the east side entrance of Parking Structure 2 at 10:35 a. m. on Sunday, Goodwin said.

Goodwin said that someone had spray-painted the words “Choke My Soul,” on the wall.  He said that police left a message for Facilities Management to clean the graffiti.

iPad stolen from Student Recreation and Wellness Center

A student reported at 1:40 p. m. on Friday that her iPad had been stolen from the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Goodwin said.

According to Goodwin, the student told police that she would return to the Lost and Found to check if her device was recovered.