E-Cigarettes, vaporizers prompting policy discussion

University Police said students have been smoking electronic cigarettes and vaporizers in hallways and classrooms on campus, even though campus smoking policy bans their use indoors.

Campus policy currently mandates that smokers remain 20 feet away from a building’s entrance and windows. There are also designated smoking areas on campus.

Dean of Students Jeff Klaus said that the smoking policy applies to vaporizers and e-cigarettes because a federal regulatory agency classified vaporizers in the same category as traditional tobacco smoke.

While some students said they feel that smoking should be limited to designated smoking areas, others, like Associated Students Inc. Vice President Jonathon Bolin, said that e-cigarettes should be allowed for broader use on campus.

“Vapes are cool with me. It’s not releasing carcinogens,” Bolin said, noting the difference between vapor and cigarette smoke. “But, I don’t think students have a right to kill other people. It’s not fair.”

Senior environmental science and policy major Matt Weneta, who has switched from traditional cigarettes to e-cigarettes, said he thinks that smokers should be able to use the devices as long as they are considerate of those around them.

“I think [smoking a vaporizer] would be bad if it were indoors or in a classroom,” Weneta said. “But as long as you are not blowing it in someone’s face, it should be allowed.”

In spite of the increased vaporizer use, Klaus said there hasn’t been any students cited for smoking violations this semester, and added that he was unsure if any were issued last year.

“I believe the enforcement of the smoking policies is very challenging,” Klaus said.  “As a campus community, we need others to step up if people are standing too close to buildings and it’s problematic.”

ASI President John Haberstroh said that regardless of the loose enforcement of smoking policies on campus, students should still be considerate of others.

“People need to be aware that other people don’t like their smoke,” Haberstroh said. “They should be mindful and use the designated areas until a firm policy is made.”

University Police Crime Prevention Sergeant Keith Caires said he remains undecided about e-cigarettes.

Caires said the fact that some vaporizers allow a user to ingest THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, further complicates the issue.

“I think it’s something that needs to be addressed,” Caires said.  “I don’t have a position one way or another … It’s something where we need all sides of the equation to sit down at the table right now.”

Haberstroh also said that it would be easier to enforce the smoking policy if there was a campus-wide smoking ban in place.

Students voted on a referendum in March to recommend a campus-wide smoking ban to former CSULB President F. King Alexander. The referendum passed with a 64 percent vote and is still waiting a decision from the university president.

Staff writer Natasha Hunkins contributed to this report.

E-Cigarettes do have carcinogens, and they aren’t just simply water vapor, there is still many ingredients in them. Are they healthier than cigurettes? Purhaps, However, I believe they should be regulated the same way cigarettes are.