Farmer’s market to move to Friendship Walk once a month

Students and faculty walking by the University Student Union yesterday might have noticed a long row of pop-up tents stocked with a variety of fruits, nuts and prepared foods. In one month’s time, they’ll see the same thing.

The bimonthly farmer’s market will now alternate its location between the Student Recreation and Wellness Center Plaza and the Friendship Walk, the long corridor in front of the USU’s lower-campus entrance, said Jose Castillo, Associated Students Inc. special events commissioner.

Castillo said the decision to move the farmer’s market came after students complained the SRWC Plaza was an inconvenient location.

“Students were complaining it was too far at the [SRWC]. Some students didn’t even know it was there,” he said. “Here, you pass down the stairs and automatically you’re like, ‘Oh look, there’s something going on.’”

Though there is no method of tracking student attendance at the farmer’s market, Castillo said the move has created an obvious increase of student traffic.

“We noticed there was an increase in overall students,” he said.  “A lot of people said that [students] just seemed to be in brighter spirits.”

Travis Huff, who was working the Nuttin’ Butter booth at the farmer’s market on Wednesday, said the location in front of the USU draws more students.

“This is unbelievably more full of traffic; there is no comparison,” he said. “People that are walking by right now is probably like a full hour of people at the [SRWC].”

Huff said students appear to be more open to shopping at the Friendship Walk and not just passing through on their way to the gym.

“The students here are either on their way to class or from class,” he said. “[Students] have their backpacks; they are in more of a nosy type of mood … near the [SRWC], people are going to the gym and might not be as concerned with what we are doing.”

Lisa McCulloch, who was working the Good Cookies and Beyond booth, agreed.

“I love this location. There are so many more people,” she said. “By the gym, it seems like everyone is just here to work out. Nobody wants to buy cookies when they are working out, so this is perfect.”

Guillermo Brito, a vendor for Conscious Foods, said the increased exposure tends to increase costs, but it’s well worth it.

“It’s a lot more sampling. It’s more exposure, but it’s more cost on our side, which I don’t mind,” he said. “People get exposed to [our product] and end up buying it eventually.

Students said they like the new location as well.

“I think this is centered for all the students,” junior psychology major Samana Budhathoki said . “Most students might find it accessible and don’t have to walk as far. [By the SRWC] they might not even see it.”

Junior nutrition and dietetics major Joey Medestomas said he thought the same.

“I feel like it’s closer, and there is a lot more people over here,” he said. “We are right next to the [USU] building, so it works better.”

But all that extra foot traffic can make things a little crowded, said Luke Hamilton, a senior health care administration major who said he stopped by Wednesday’s farmer’s market for free samples.

“[At the SRWC] there are two aisles. Here it’s just one aisle, so it’s a lot more cramped… it’s a little harder to get around especially when class gets out it get pretty crowded,” he said. “People are bumping into each other trying to see what’s going on.”