Daily 49er, DIG earn 6 awards

The Daily 49er and DIG Magazine took home six awards in total from the 2013 California College Media Association awards banquet Saturday.

Two of the Daily 49er’s five awards were for first place.

Former Daily 49er Design Director Jen San Jose won two awards, including first place for news page design, while former Photo Editor Shilah Montiel won first place in feature photography.

San Jose and Sports Editor Jason Clark, who is also the current design director, shared a third place award for sports page design. Their design of the front page for the Daily 49er’s basketball season preview won the award.

“I’m very happy that it won an award,” Clark said. “It’s really quite an honor to be in the same group as papers like the Daily Californian and Daily Bruin.”

The Daily Californian and the Daily Bruin are the student newspapers at University of California, Berkeley and University of California, Los Angeles, respectively. The Daily Californian took first place for sports page design at the banquet.

Daily 49er Radio Producer James Delahoussaye won second place for his podcast on a comedy performance that featured a Jewish and Muslim stand-up comedy duo. He said the event promoted cooperation and tolerance between both religions.

“I think it’s really good that the CCMAs are looking to reward and promote digital media,” Delahoussaye said of the award.

Former Assistant Diversions Editor Noel Leon won third place for her feature on the Cal State Long Beach Confessions Facebook page, while DIG photographer Jill Thoman won second place for best magazine photo.

Daily 49er Content Adviser Barbara Kingsley-Wilson said it is nice to see the Daily 49er and DIG’s efforts rewarded.

“I’m proud of the students who work extremely hard, with all sorts of challenges, to produce a strong product day in and day out,” Kingsley-Wilson said.