Annual Health Fair encourages students to live well

Students who passed through the Friendship Walk yesterday didn’t only encounter the Associated Students Inc. farmers market, but also saw a number of organizations set up for the eighth annual Health Fair.

Freebies ranging from pens, shopping bags, food samples, massages, condoms and Ibuprofen were in abundance at the event.

The Health Fair, sponsored by the University Student Union Program Council, featured on and off campus organizations such as LifeStream, the Health and Human Services Department, Direct TV, Student Health Services Family Pact, and St. Francis Medical Center.

In addition, students were also able to enjoy free services such as free Body Mass Index calculations offered by the Nursing Department.

Senior nursing major Christina DeRobertis said the department’s goal at the event was to inform students on how to maintain a healthy heart.

“We are really excited anytime that we can come and share health education because most people are uneducated,” DeRobertis said. “That’s the biggest issue in our country, especially with the obesity epidemic.”

Others organizations, like the Aquarium of the Pacific, came to the event to promote their services.
Damiana Gallatin, the marketing and sales associate for Aquarium of the Pacific, said she came to the health fair to promote discounted tickets for CSULB students. Gallatin said she believes the aquarium can still interest college students.

“We have lots of events … we’re more than an aquarium,” she said. “Just last week, we held a Latin-themed event called Noche de Estrelles [Night of the Stars] and 1,000 people came.”

Paul Leaf, a Beach Balance assistant at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, said they were also there to promote Beach Balance services, like nutritional counseling and massage therapy.

“We’re just kind of doing outreach, trying to provide information about our unique services for our student members,” Leaf said.

Many students, like senior health care administration major Estephanie Arcilla, said the event was a great way to promote all the resources that are available to students on campus.

“There are a lot of resources available at school, but people don’t know [about them] because they don’t seek help,” Arcilla said. “And there’s free food and free stuff. Freebies are always the best.”

Samantha Lopez, a senior journalism major, said she thought the health fair was helpful for students.

“I just came by the health fair just to see what kinds of resources are offered on campus,” Lopez said. “I didn’t know [the SRWC] had the spa water and the massage treatments, and now I know.”