Former CSULB student sells company for $2 billion

Palmer Luckey sells his virtual reality company to Facebook.

Oculus virtual reality founder Palmer Luckey, 20, right, is the inventor of a VR gaming headset that aims to be the next generation video game console. Oculus, based in Irvine, raised $2.4 million on Kickstarter and they will be shipping developer kits to game makers within a few months. Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe, left, is pictured wearing the virtual reality headset.

MCT

MCT

Andrew Spencer, Assistant City Editor

A former Cal State Long Beach student became rich yesterday. Very rich.

College drop out and Oculus Virtual Reality founder Palmer Luckey sold his company, Oculus VR, to Facebook yesterday for $2 billion in cash and stocks.

Luckey’s company received $400 million in cash and $1.6 billion in Facebook stock in the sale.

Oculus VR is best known for the Oculus Rift, a virtually reality headset designed by Luckey, a former CSULB journalism student.

Facebook’s purchase of Oculus VR has Luckey enthusiastic about the thought of virtual reality becoming mainstream.

“When Facebook first approached us about partnering, I was skeptical.  As I learned more about the company and its vision and spoke with Mark [Zuckerburg], the partnership not only made sense, but became the clear and obvious path to delivering virtual reality to everyone,” Luckey said on his Facebook. “Facebook was founded with the vision of making the world a more connected place.  Virtual reality is a medium that allows us to share experiences with others in ways that were never before possible.”

Mark Zuckerburg, CEO of Facebook, said using Oculus VR’s technology will help people become more connected.

“Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about,” Zuckerburg said in a statement. “We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we’re in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.”

Luckey said Facebook will provide additional resources that Oculus VR would not have otherwise.

“The partnership accelerates our vision, allows us to execute on some of our most creative ideas and take risks that were otherwise impossible,” Luckey said. “This is a special moment for the gaming industry — Oculus’ somewhat unpredictable future just became crystal clear: virtual reality is coming, and it’s going to change the way we play games forever.”

2 Responses to “Former CSULB student sells company for $2 billion”

1. Anonymous on March 26th, 2014 6:37 pm

Sellout.

[Reply]

2. Former CSULB Journalism Student Sells Virtual Reality Company To Facebook For $2 Billion | Tiffany L. Rider on March 27th, 2014 7:27 am

[…] Luckey and his CEO, raised $2.4 million on Kickstarter to promote the Oculus Rift as the next generation video game console, according to a report by CSULB’s campus newspaper The Daily 49er. […]

*

• News

Eligible Students to be Guaranteed CSU Admission

• Former CSULB student sells company for $2 billion

Long Beach Seeks to Improve Local Music Scene

• News

Elderly and people with disabilities stand strong at LB city council meeting

Parking permit rates to rise in July

2016 Election

Comey – ‘“No Doubt’” Russian government interfered with presidential election

CSULB President upholds campus’ commitment to curbing climate change

CSULB to build downtown student housing center

American Indian Studies honors students to the beat of a drum

Long Beach searches for parking solutions

CSULB graduates struggle to find work locally