Leaving behind a legacy

Interim President Donald Para choked back tears as he gave his final thanks and a farewell to the Cal State Long Beach community Wednesday in the Carpenter Performing Arts Center.

“I know that my heart is full of love and full of pride,” he said.

Roughly 100 faculty, family and friends attended the farewell ceremony that featured a musical performance from four CSULB students on two pianos.

Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs David Dowell, who hosted the farewell event, opened with a video telling Para’s story from the beginning. The audience laughed throughout the video, which included a range of pictures from Para’s childhood to the present.

Cal State University Chancellor Timothy P. White, who spoke at the event, said that Para’s successful tenure as CSULB’s interim president has made his life easier.

“If you had screwed things up, I would have been in trouble,” White said to Para during his speech.

Carolyn Bremer, chair of the music department, highlighted Para’s leadership skills when the Gerald R. Daniel Recital hall collapsed during his second year as chair of the music department.

Bremer said that Para had to scramble for facilities where students and faculty could hold classes and music practice, from practicing in a mall to a library.

“He took the attitude that ‘You gotta do what you gotta do,’” she said.

Para and his family were presented with gifts, including a framed collage of monumental photos throughout his career at CSULB, a Long Beach State golf bag and a vase made by sculptor Tony Marsh, a faculty member in the art department.

Africana studies professor Uche Ugwueze said that Para was “the best thing that has happened to Cal State Long Beach.” She said that because he had taken on so many different positions, he has become a well-rounded leader who was able to make a great impact on students and faculty.

“As the chair of the department of music, he raised about $13 million for the university,” Ugwueze said. “We will miss him dearly because he is a rock at this campus.”

When Para took the stage, he said he was grateful for everyone that helped shape him into the person that he is today, which included his first music teacher and Bob Think, the man who gave him his first job as a 23-year-old.

During his 26 years at CSULB, Para held several positions, including chair of the music department, dean of the College of the Arts, provost and vice president for the division of academic affairs and interim president.

Para said that he and Jane Close Conoley, who will take over as CSULB president after Para’s tenure ends, have been in close communication since being selected for the position.

“She puts students at the center of her priorities,” Para said. “ I’ve been telling her about why this is a very special place and I think she understands that.”

He said that he plans to stay involved with the campus community even after his retirement.

“We’ve got to see how this keeps unfolding, and I’m sure it’s going to be great,” Para said.

He said that although everyone praised him for his leadership, he believes he could not have succeeded without his staff.

“We are part of something bigger than ourselves,” Para said.