B.E.A.C.H. inspires high school students to pursue higher education

More than 40 teary-eyed Cal State Long Beach and high school students shared their emotions as they talked about their role models Saturday at the Becoming Educated Adolescents Con Hermandad event, a conference meant to motivate high school students to get a college education.

The event was hosted by Hermanos Unidos de Long Beach, a CSULB cultural organization aimed at motivating young Latinos to advance into academic scholars, community leaders and young professionals.

Rodrigo De Avila, a coordinator and founder of the event, said he reached out to several high schools in and around Long Beach, including Wilson High School and Jordan High School.

Some members of Hermanos Unidos de Long Beach and Hermanas Unidos de Long Beach, the female version of the group, brought their siblings to the event, said De Avila, a senior criminal justice major and co-chair of Hermanos Unidos de Long Beach.

“Our members understand the need of exposing high school students to higher education in our communities and therefore are inspired to help younger students achieve success,” De Avila said.

At the event, which was started by De Avila last year, students were able to attend 10-minute-long workshops about time management, leadership and peer pressure. Hermanos Unidos de Long Beach senior communication studies major Billy Torres hosted the workshops, which were followed by panel discussions.

“These workshops are vital to lower income students,” Torres said. “They don’t have mentors but we are providing that extra help they need. Also to show them that their goals can be accomplished.”

Motivational speaker Ramsey Jay Jr. , who originally inspired De Avila to begin B.E.A.C.H., also spoke at the event.

“Two years ago, I attended a conference out in UC Santa Barbara hosted by the [Hermanos Unidos] guys. That’s when I got the chance to meet Ramsey Jay Jr., where he told me that I will impact the world,” De Avila said. “Then I began B.E.A.CH. to reach out to high school students and motivate them to go to college.”

Jay used the “Three Ps” — possible, probable and predictable, as his main outline for his speech and gave attendees pointers on how to work toward their dreams, including “if you don’t hear no, you are aiming to low,” and “you got to do the work to get it.”

“My goal was to encourage [them to] recognize the power they have and have them realize they have the possibility to make them reality,” Jay said.

Several students broke into tears as they talked about their role models and motivators.

“This is one of the many motivational talks I’ve given in which several of the teenagers break down and show their emotions, “ Jay said. “It was very powerful and very impacting for all them to support one another.

The event concluded with high school students getting a tour of campus.

Paramount High School student Jose Prado, a sophomore, attended the event after his cousin told him how it would benefit him.

“This event helped me out and inspired me to start something new with my life,” Prado said.

1. Pingback: BEACH inspires high school students to pursue higher education | Study Experts

2. Pingback: BEACH inspires high school students to pursue higher education | Study Professionals