Student group performs in honor of CSULB student who died

Cal State Long Beach students from Grupo Folklorico Mexica banded together Saturday night in the University Theatre to dedicate their “Música de mi Tierra” performance to former member Genesis Espericueta, who died on April 20 after a five-year battle with lupus.

There were roughly 80 people in attendance for the performance that raised $496 from ticket sales. According to the group’s Facebook page, they plan to donate the majority of the proceeds to the Espericueta family and a portion to a lupus foundation.

The troupe featured female dancers wearing colorful skirts while male dancers wore handkerchiefs over their foreheads, cowboy boots and used machetes as props. They performed traditional Latin American dances from the Jaranas, Marimbas, Jarabes, Huastecas, Polkas and Sones regions of Mexico.

CSULB Spanish major Carolina Zepeda and choreographer Miguelangel Ortiz helped direct the routines, according to a program for the event.

Freshman liberal studies major Jackie Santiago was one of Espericueta’s fellow dancers and said it was a privilege for her and the other dancers to perform at CSULB. She said Espericueta was the “greatest person you can ever meet.”

“She always had a smile on her face … and she was so welcoming,” Santiago said.

Students performing in the event tapped their shoes to the beat of the trumpets while the crowd clapped along. In one of the dances, “Jarabe Nayarita,” male performers danced with machetes as female dancers gracefully twirled their colorful skirts.

Folklorico groups from University of California, Los Angeles, University of California, Irvine, and Patrick Henry Folklorico also participated in the show.

Genesis’ sisters, freshman pre-nursing major Biviana Espericueta and high school senior Viky Espericueta who are also part of the folklorico group at CSULB, danced in Saturday’s show.

The sisters said it was sad but rewarding to perform in Genesis’ honor.

“It would have been what she wanted,” Biviana said.

The sisters also said that while they are still coping from Genesis’ unexpected death, the unity in the group would help them to get through this difficult time.

Viky said they followed Genesis’ footsteps in dancing.

“Genesis loved dancing,” Biviana said. “Even in her condition … she was always working really hard.”

The sisters said it was a dream of Genesis’ to see the group perform on a big stage on campus.

“It’s [sad] because we didn’t get to share the dream with her, but we know that we made her proud.”