CSULB Latino cultural events coming up this week

It may be summer time, but the National Council of La Raza-California State University, Long Beach Center for Latino Community Health, Evaluation and Leadership Training is not taking a break from bringing culture to Long Beach.

On Friday, June 28, the center will host “Noche cultural,” an evening of reading and learning about various mythological creatures in Latin American culture. The night will begin at 5:30 p.m., and will wrap up at 7:00 p.m.

Creatures for discussion will include, but not be limited to,  “the rabbit, the quetzal and the hummingbird,” according the NCLR website. After the reading, any guests who bring their small children with them will have an opportunity to participate in relevant arts and crafts.

According to NCLR Research Coordinator Erika Bonilla, the event on Friday is part of a monthly cultural series. On the last Friday of every month, the NCLR aims to provide a meaningful, cultural evening to Long Beach residents.

The NCLR had originally planned to host a Mayan lecture presentation on Friday evening as well but the event was moved to July 2. At 10:30 a.m. until noon, students from Universidad Intercultural Maya de Quintana Roo will present on the subject of “traditional Mayan healing practices.”

The NCLR was established in 2005 to “support and create diverse community health initiatives,” according to its website. In commitment to this mission, the CSULB Centro Salud es Cultura was established in downtown Long Beach.

Both of the aforementioned events will take place at CSULB satellite office, located at 1205 Pine Avenue, Suite 102. Contact the NCLR office for more information, at [email protected].