Robert Garcia inaugurated as first Latino mayor

Newly-elected mayor Robert Garcia and eight other council members were inaugurated Tuesday during a city council meeting at Long Beach’s Terrace Theatre.

The eight inaugurated councilmembers include City Attorney Charles Parkin, City Auditor Laura L. Doud, City Prosecutor Doug Haubert, 1st district Councilwoman Lena A. Gonzalez, 3rd district Councilwoman Suzie Price, 5th district Councilwoman Stacy R. Mungo, 7th district Councilman Roberto Uranga and 9th district Councilman Rex Allen Richardson, Jr.

“We have four women members for the first time in history,” Doug Otto, master of ceremonies, said during the meeting addressing the council.

The diversity of the council members also includes three African Americans, one Persian American, one Indian America and now, Long Beach’s youngest, first Latino, openly gay and bilingual mayor, Otto said.

After the eight council members were sworn in, they expressed their gratitude for the chance to serve the city of Long Beach.

“It is my role now as a city council member to make sure we are continuing to entrust in your visions and ideas,” Gonzalez said addressing Long Beach residents.

Just like the eight council members who spoke before him, 36-year-old Garcia thanked a variety of people, such as staff and his mom, who showed him strong work ethic.

“My mom often times wouldn’t be around during the week,” Garcia said. “When I asked why, I would realize that she was working two or three jobs…”

Garcia then touched base on his life endeavors, and how he and his family emigrated from Peru to the U.S.

“I [had] a great honor of coming here to the U.S. when I was five years old with my family,” Garcia said. “And because of the incredible hard work of my grandmother… and because of the belief of my mother, my father, my aunt and my uncle… because of their hard work, we made it to this country.”

Garcia also talked about some of the struggles his family endured, such as working multiple jobs, learning English and “bouncing around cities” looking for a place to stay. He added that he attended Cal State Long Beach and that the university’s dorms were his first address.

“While I was in college [at Cal State Long Beach], the greatest thing happened to me, the greatest day of my life,” Garcia said. “The greatest day of my life is the day I became an American.”

Garcia graduated from CSULB with a bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies, before earning a master’s degree from the University of Southern California. While at CSULB, Garcia was also elected president for Associated Student Inc.

During his inauguration, Garcia said he wants to lead Long Beach into a bright future through teamwork.

“You’ve given me an incredible responsibility that I am excited to take on,” Garcia said to the crowd.