President Conoley settles in

University President Jane Close Conoley is now settling into her university home — the Miller House — after delays caused by its renovations.

“As usual, moving is a pretty exhausting adventure, but I think we’re almost settled in,” Conoley said in an email.

In September 2013, the California State University Board of Trustees approved over $806,238 in state General Fund money from the CSULB deferred maintenance budget to repair the Miller House’s air conditioning system and replace its roof with a goal of reducing ongoing utility and maintenance costs, associate vice president of legislative and external relations Terri Carbaugh said.

She said that the CSU spent $717,336, which was $88,901 under budget.

Carbaugh said that the home, which was built in 1965, had its heat and air conditioning system was repaired, and the roof was replaced. She also said that it was refurbished with a seismic upgrade and an electrical panel.

“This has been scheduled now for more than a year,” Carbaugh said. “So, it predates President Conoley.  Certainly, with the transition of Interim President Don Para’s departure, it really afforded us an opportunity to get in there and get these repairs done, while the home was vacant.”

Carbaugh said that there may still be some ongoing repair work, but the larger projects such as the new roof and heating and air conditioning are pretty close to complete.

She said that the Miller House hosts many events with alumni, faculty and staff.

“We will be using the House a few times each week to help raise money for student success; celebrate faculty and student awards and accomplishment; and, thank staff for their extraordinary service at The Beach,” Conoley said.

“It’s an asset of the university as a whole,” Carbaugh said. “And so, we’re really just trying to maintain it just as we would in other facilities on campus.”

She said that there are 11 homes that are owned by the CSU system.

Carbaugh said that the home was donated to the campus in 1992 in a will.  The house, located in the Park Estates neighborhood adjacent to campus, was willed to the CSU by Loraine Miller Collins, she said..

Carbaugh said that these renovations are in no way related to Conoley’s arrival; they had already been set since the Board approval in September 2013, she said.

“These plans were well in the works before her arrival,” Carbaugh said. “She was off at UCSB at the time.”