Coming up at The Beach: Week of Welcome and Smorgasport

The annual “Week of Welcome,” which is an event where students can get a taste of new and old organizations, takes place on Wednesday, September 3 from 11 am to 2 pm in the Central Quad at Cal State Long Beach.

Week of Welcome is a resource for students and is sponsored by Associated Students Inc. (ASI).  On average every year, there are 200 organizations that come to reach out and recruit new student members.  Different signs signify the large diversity of clubs, which consist of fraternities, sororities, cultural, religious, self-interest or professional.

Imani Cooper, ASI Chief Programming Officer, said, “The event showcases the organizations and allows students to get a taste of each.  Each day, there are 100 free food items.”

Chantal Stamp, International Studies senior at CSULB, said, “I’m going to the Week of Welcome because it is a good way to see what kind of clubs and activities I can participate in, and there are also food trucks.”

Alex Rockwell, Beach Pride Program Office Assistant, said, “The main purpose of the event is to provide the students will a way to become involved in the campus.  It is an easy way to get involved and is an outlet on a commuter campus.  Instead of searching, there is one location to allow students to find one club that fits them the best.”

Smorgasport

The annual Smorgasport event will take place on Friday, September 5, from 7:00 p.m. until midnight, and will be in Parking Lot 3, the University Student Union Games Center and North Lawn.

Imani Cooper, ASI Chief Programming Officer, explains, “There is a fast pass, in which people go to each of the six categories on a map and get a stamp.  If they bring it to the office in Beach Pride Center, the first one hundred people get a T-Shirt and wristband for Smorgasport.”

Admission for Smorgasport is free, and there are student organization information tables, appearances by radio stations, interactive games, free food, food trucks, attractions, bowling, music, video games, rides, billiards and entertainment is available and the first five hundred people to arrive will receive a free Smorgasport T-shirt.

What time should we arrive to get decent parking and not have to fight over spots?