Peace Corps to promote world peace and friendship on campus

The Peace Corps will present the importance of public service and the difference students can make on a global scale to students who are interested in volunteering internationally.

The event will take place for an hour at the University Student Union in the Beach Auditorium this Friday at 11 a.m. to noon.

Peace Corps volunteers from abroad will chat via Skype about the application process and their service around the world, according to the Peace Corps official flyer.

Peace Corps was established by former President John F. Kennedy in 1961. The goal of the organization was to “promote world peace and friendship” internationally and since its establishment over 215,000 Americans have served in over 130 countries around the world, according to the Peace Corps website.

The newly appointed Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet – a fourth generation Peace Corps volunteer – 47th district Congressman and retired Cal State Long Beach professor Alan Lowenthal and CSULB President Jane Close Conoley will be attending. All three are presumed to speak about public service and the value of international experience, according to the Peace Corps website.

This event is an indicator of the coming change in Peace Corps’ recruitment policy; the goal is to make the process simpler and faster than before, according to the CSULB website.

Peace is overrated. War promotes patriotism, encourages a sense of civic duty, and weeds out the weak from society.

2. Pingback: Daily 49er : Peace Corps to promote <b>world… | World Peace Herald