Man stopped for alleged illegal filming, cited for fake ID

A man received a seven-day suspension from Cal State Long Beach Monday and a citation for allegedly providing false identification to law enforcement, University Police Sgt. Keith Caires said.

University Police Cpl. Vergel Munoz initially stopped Michael Anthony Vera, who received the citation, and his friend David Robledo on suspicion of illegally filming near the Multicultural Center around 5:17 p.m., Caires said.

Both men, non-CSULB students, did not have the proper credentials to film, Caires said.

Vera said that, after speaking with Munoz for a few moments, he asked the corporal if he was being detained. Upon receiving a “no” from the officer, Vera said he got up and walked away without being dismissed by Munoz.

Vera said that Munoz then stopped him, asking him and his friend for identification; Vera then provided a false name.

He had never been involved with police before and had known someone in a similar situation who used a false name, which in that case worked to his advantage, Vera said.

Munoz wanted to make sure the men were complying with CSULB policies regarding on-campus filming, Caires said.

Vera explained that he was gathering footage for his YouTube channel called “Poke Flirt.”

The channel is a “hidden camera social experiment” in which Vera asks people on the street awkward questions, he said. After receiving the reactions, Vera compiles short clips of the funniest responses.