Trash becomes treasure at CSULB’s Lost and Found auction

Cal State Long Beach’s annual Lost and Found Auction and Sale offered a variety of lost items, some for under a dollar, near the Friendship Walk on Wednesday.

The auction sold skateboards, gloves, sunglass, backpacks, writing utensils, hats, two laptops, clothes hangers and jewelry.

Two $10 to $15 laptop and 40 bicycles and bicycle frames were sold as well, Ellie Christov, director of Planning and Facilities Management, said.

“They got a lot of good deals,” she said.

Juan Rivera, senior anthropology major and student assistant at Property Management Office, said he has participated in this event for the past three or four years.

“It could be better organized,” he said. “I think this year it went a little bit better, except for people killing each other for the skateboard.”

Rivera said that before the auction began, the stands that included the skateboards that were to be auctioned were surrounded by yellow caution tape. He said that the crowd of potential buyers was so eager to buy the skateboards, the crowd leaned over the yellow tape until it “snapped.”

“It was crazy. You should have seen it,” Rivera said.

Because “everyone likes skateboards,” and they were sold for $10 at the auction, he said that it was probably the “main attraction” to the auction.

Rivera said that whatever item that was not sold during this event would be given to Goodwill.

“I guess that’s sustainable, by helping poor people,” Rivera said.

English lecturer Rusty Rust purchased two bicycles and two bicycle frames that summed up to cost $64, two of which she said were a dollar.

“I just figured, if it’s worth only a dollar, might as well…” she said.

Besides that, he said that the money raised from the auction is supposed to be returned to students in the form of scholarships.