‘Trading Ages’ workshop teaches students about disabilities

Gerontologist Jacqueline Lauder began the Trading Ages workshop on Tuesday by handing out a bag containing what she called “disabilities.”

Cal State Long Beach gerontology students were instructed to put on glasses that replicated vision loss, put in earplugs for hearing loss and put on gloves to simulate loss of dexterity. They were also instructed to tie bandages around their waists to simulate a stroke.

Trading Ages is provided by SCAN Health Plan, a non-profit Medicare Advantage health plan serving more than 100,000 older adults in California and Arizona, Lyndsey Schaefer, a SCAN health plan communications specialist, said via email.

The workshops aim to teach people how to deal with aging adults “to help improve their understanding of the challenges that older adults face,” according to the workshop’s website.

Lauder said she has been conducting similar workshops for other organizations for about 15 years; however, she has worked for SCAN for the past two years, and she thinks that they have made this workshop special.

“This one is far and above [the rest] because it talks about aging as a whole person and not just the physical.” Lauder said.

Lauder instructed the students to complete activities such as filling out forms while she simulated a doctor’s waiting room. Amongst the laughter, students were learning valuable lessons about the aging process.

“Everyone is aging, everyone deals with aging adults in their families and the world, and so this is for everyone.” Lauder said.

“It has taught me to put myself in the shoes of other people, understanding them more and to be patient and kind to them.” Esmeralda Castro, senior human development major, said. “It made me realize that we are heading that way too.”

Professor Casey Goeller, the gerontology program instructor, said the hands-on, participatory nature of the workshops lets students enjoy themselves and the experience. He said that feedback is generally very positive for these kinds of activities.

“I think that students get an awareness of the ageing process and the fact that they are ageing no matter what age they are,” Goeller said. “When they leave the class they are an hour and fifteen minutes older, as am I.”

More information regarding SCAN and Trading Ages can be found at www.scanhealthplan.com.