Preview: Rideshare Week kick off event on campus

A Sustainable Transportation Event will kick off Rideshare Week on campus; the event will include a lunch and a keynote address on Monday in the University Student

Union Ballroom.

Rideshare Week is an annual nation-wide effort to increase awareness about the benefits of using sustainable transportation.  Parking and Transportation Services, ASI

and the Support Services Division are co-hosting this event in order to promote sustainable transportation and to encourage people to use sustainable

transportation, which can include walking, biking, carpooling and using public transit, Sustainable Transportation Program Coordinator Elissa Thomas said. “CSULB educates the

leaders of tomorrow, and we should lead the way in modeling sustainable choices, especially when it comes to transportation, which forms 60% of the University’s carbon footprint,”

Thomas said. She also said using sustainable ways of commuting can reduce stress, improve health and reduce emissions of climate-changing greenhouse gases. In honor of Rideshare

Week,  alternative transportation expert and author of How to Live Well Without Owning a Car Chris Balish has been invited to be the keynote speaker.He will speak about some of the

benefits of using sustainable transportation. Chris has been featured on several radio and TV stations, and newspapers and magazines, including CNN,ABC News,National Public

Radio,Newsweek, New York Times and many others. The free Rideshare event will take place from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., and a free lunch will be provided. Chris Balish will

speak from 12:15 p.m.-12:45 p.m. There will also be information booths about the various transportation options available, regarding how to get and from CSULB. Representatives

present will be Long Beach Transit, MTA, OCTA, Zipcar, Enterprise Vanpool and League of American Bicyclists. More information can be requested from:

[email protected] or (562) 985-4091.