Man arrested after failure to appear in court

Lt. Richard Goodwin said a man who had failed to pay a $35,000 traffic warrant, which was issued after he failed to appear in court for a traffic violation, was arrested on Oct. 5 at 7:30 a.m.

Police checked the license plate record of an unoccupied parked vehicle near Liberal Arts Building 1 and found that the driver had a warrant.

The warrant was issued after the driver failed to appear in court, and bail was set for $35,000. Police were able to contact the owner of the vehicle, and he was booked at Long Beach City Jail.

Petty theft at University Bookstore

Two shoplifters were detained and cited at the University Bookstore after they were caught stealing on Oct. 5 at 12:25 p.m., Goodwin said.

University Police received a call from a bookstore employee who said that two shoplifters had been caught, and had admitted to taking merchandise. Both suspects were eighteen years of age and were Cal State University Long Beach students. Goodwin said officers issued both suspects judicial citations. One of the suspects was taken into custody and also issued a criminal citation; he was later released from the station.

Stolen Bicycle at university housing

Goodwin said a 24-speed, black, Giant road bike was stolen from Parkside College on

Oct. 1 at 8 p.m. The student had locked up the bike, and upon returning, found the

cut cable lock where the bike had been. The reporting party did not have the serial number for the bike, which means it was not registered through Cal State University Long Beach. The bike was valued at $450 Goodwin said.

Woman struck by boyfriend on E. Campus Dr.

On Sept. 29, at 9:10 p.m. University Police received multiple calls from witnesses who reported seeing a man with a backpack, wearing a light, yellow polo and black shorts, running across

campus. A media statement that was released said police arrived on scene and found a female victim who had been “battered by her boyfriend.” Goodwin said she refused medical treatment, and he suspects that the woman was struck by her boyfriend inside their vehicle. Goodwin said the boyfriend then stole the woman’s cell phone and fled the scene; neither the suspect, nor the victim are CSULB students. Police were not able to locate the suspect, but the incident is under investigation.