ASI votes to free Willy

The Associated Students, Inc. Senate approved a resolution to cease the sale of SeaWorld tickets at the University Student Union information booth on Wednesday.

The resolution stated that ASI would “take a stance against the cruelty occurring at SeaWorld by suggesting the USU Board of Trustees reconsider the sale of SeaWorld tickets.”

ASI Senator Rick Payan said he has been working on this resolution for over a year.

“I’m glad, I’m happy,” he said. “Save the whales.”

Payan said he drafted the resolution in response to the documentary film “Blackfish,” which was directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite.

The documentary covers the life of male orca Tilikum, who is also the whale that killed SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau in 2010. The documentary features the sale of Tilikum to SeaWorld; the film includes his many incidents with trainers as well as commentary from former SeaWorld trainers on the treatment of the whale.

The popular marine park received a firestorm of debate and controversy after the documentary’s October 2013 airing on CNN, according to NPR’s website.

Payan said he brought this resolution to ASI because he thinks the university should take an official stance against animal cruelty at SeaWorld.

The USU sells SeaWorld tickets for $66, which is $18 less than the price of standard ticket at the park gate. For every ticket sold, the USU receives two dollars, ASI Communication Manager Lindsay SanMiguel said.

“We are not even providing them with the better discount here” Payan said to the board. According to the theme park’s website, SeaWorld offers a permanent $20 discount to their tickets, making the tickets 2 dollars cheaper than those sold in the USU.

SanMiguel said that in 2013, the USU received $1,684 in revenue, which is a $736 decrease in revenue from the year before.

At the Oct. 3 USU Board of Trustees meeting, the board rejected a proposal to continue the sale of SeaWorld tickets at the USU.

The item will now go on to a campus services committee for further approval, and a proposal may be written at this point to discontinue the sale of the SeaWorld tickets on campus.

Correction:

In the Oct. 2 edition of the Daily 49er, “ASI aims to pull discounted SeaWorld tickets from USU” should have reported that an adult ticket at the gate of the park is priced at $84, and an adult ticket sold in the USU costs $66.

1. Pingback: ASI Votes to Free Willy | Rachel S. Keeney

2. Pingback: Activists to protest Cal State Long Beach's SeaWorld promotion - Inlanddaily.com