CSULB named Military Friendly for Sixth Consecutive Year

Military publication G.I. Jobs recognized Cal State University Long Beach for the sixth consecutive year as a “military friendly school” for student-veterans, according to a campus press release.

CSULB is a part of a veteran services program called VetSuccess, which is a direct partnership between the United States Department of Veteran Affairs and the CSULB office of Veterans Services

“Only 94 campuses across the U.S. do this,” CSULB Director of Veteran Services Marshall W. Thomas said. “It’s a partnership with the VA that provides a VetSuccess counselor on campus; two days a week [at CSULB] and three days at Long Beach City College, where the need is greater.”

The CSULB Office of Veterans Services, located in room 220 in the Foundation Building, provides the on-campus support for student-veterans by helping them “access educational benefits they earned by serving in the armed forces,” according to the Veterans Services website.

The office serves to certify the students’ eligibility for the G.I. Bill and the CalVet fee waiver, according to the website.

Thomas said one of the benefits of VetSuccess is that a VA counselor is provided in order to help student-veterans maintain academic paths that align with their G.I. or Veterans Affairs benefits. He said that, through the partnership, student-veterans from CSULB and LBCC can get important and up-to-date information on their claims and VA benefits.

“[VetSuccess] provides a bridge as well, people at LBCC are feeder schools for transfer students,” Thomas said.

Lois Daz, the campus counselor at CSULB designated by the VA, said she helps student-veterans at CSULB transition into their post-military lives on campus by helping them maintain eligibility to receive their VA benefits.

“[Daz] has the ability to tap into the VA computer system,” Thomas said. “It let’s [student-veterans] know what’s going on with their claims. So it’s a real benefit.”

Daz said she works primarily with 20-year-old student-veterans who are transitioning right out of the military.

“Sometimes they don’t fit in,” Daz said. “It’s hard to relate with these 18 and 19-year-olds. I offer adjustment with career options and understanding all of their VA benefits.”

The other program on campus that is directly tied to veterans’ services is the Vet Net Ally Program, which is an “education and awareness program that develops a network of faculty, staff and administrators…” according Vet Net Ally page on csulb.edu. Thomas said this program is open to non-veterans as well because one of the goals of the program is to spread awareness of student-veteran circumstances on college campuses.

“[The Vet Net Ally Program] is an educational program designed to raise awareness about student-veterans on college campuses,” Thomas said. “Every semester, we hold a seminar on campus. Throughout that seminar we teach faculty and students why veterans join the military, the types experiences they have while there, and what kind of challenges [veterans] face once they get out.”

The Vet Net Ally Program will have its next seminar on campus at CSULB on Nov. 14, from 8 a.m. to noon, according to the website.

Student-veteran and Associated Students Inc. Secretary of Veterans Affairs cabinet member Wendy Lewis said that, thanks to Thomas, VetSuccess and Vet Net Ally programs, she has had a great sense of support.

“As a former military personnel and as a parent, this is a place where we can thrive because of the support,” Lewis said.

Lewis said that before she started her academic career at The Beach in fall 2013, she was a member of the U.S. Navy from 2001-2010.

“It was awesome,” Lewis said. “I took a lot away from it. The format we followed there with ranks, deadlines and being respectful, and on-time showed me a lot.”

Given the established recognition of being a military friendly campus, Lewis said she feels good about her decision to attend CSULB. She said that the discipline, motivation and values she learned while in the Navy have helped her become a “better student and leader.”

“I feel like I came to the right place,” Lewis said. “I’m glad I went somewhere where veterans are recognized and have support.”

CSULB is one of 85 colleges, universities and trade schools in California that made the annual list.