Pick a major, any major

All majors are impacted at Cal State University Long Beach these days, according to CSULB Admissions. Some of the most popular majors are nursing, business and engineering.

During the second annual cHarmony event hosted for residential students, advisors from every college at CSULB gathered at the Los Alamitos Lawn on Tuesday from 4 to 6 p.m. to help students find their match – that is, their true college major match.

Music by Katy Perry, Drake and Charli XCX played in the background, while students wandered from table to table to pick up free food and lemonade. After visiting a table from one of the seven campus colleges, students were given raffle tickets for the raffle that offered prizes like $10 gift cards and candy.

Representatives from the College of the Arts, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Health and Human Services, Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences & Mathematics, were there to answer students’ questions.

Tu Ngo, academic advisor for the College of Engineering, encouraged students to come to her table, which was covered in marshmallows, to talk about engineering.

“It’s all about the money, but you got to do the calculus, the physics and the chemistry,” Ngo said.

Students thinking of double majoring, changing a major or adding a minor were encouraged to come to the event to talk to advisors and find out about their options. Even students who didn’t need to change their major were still encouraged to learn about the other colleges on campus.

Cara Safer, a residential academic coordinator, was pleased with the outcome of the event.

“We’re extremely happy with the attendance,” Safer said.

Marisa DiCamillo, a Jazz Studies major living in Hillside College, came to get some questions answered.

“I want to become a psych minor, and I’m trying to figure out how to do that,” DiCamillo said, walking towards the College of Liberal Arts table.