Information Fair kick-starts Health and Safety Week

The 2nd annual Living Well @ the Beach started Monday at Cal State University Long Beach with an Information Fair on the Free Speech Lawn to inform students of upcoming events for Health and Safety Week.

“We have a whole week of events that are health and safety driven,” Co-Chairperson and Assistant Vice President of Administrative and Finance Services at CSULB Mishelle Laws said.

The entire week of workshops, activities and lectures is a joint effort between Student Services and Administration and Finance Services to raise awareness about on-campus resources available to students and faculty, Laws said.

Flu vaccinations paid for by Student Health Services were offered to students in the vending areas outside of the bookstore from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m on Monday as well.

“Mind, body and soul– we’re just trying to make sure when you’re here on campus you feel safe and you have resources for whatever it is you need,” Co-Chairperson and Administrator of Event Services Shonnick Anderson said.

web_health week1_Sarah Borean Paws 4 Healing, one of the outside exhibitors that was at the information fair, has non-profit chapters located all over Southern California to help people curb their struggle with high-blood pressure, anxiety and depression.

“We visit universities, hospitals and places where you can’t really leave and [do not] allow pets,” said Paws 4 Healing volunteer Krista Renta as she cradled Panda, the therapy-trained rabbit.

Project OCEAN (On-Campus Emergency Assistance Network) supplied a pile of Crayola markers and brown lunch bags, encouraging passersby to jot down a positive message or remembrance of a loved one who has committed suicide.

In efforts to raise suicide prevention and awareness, lit candles will adorn the bags and will be placed around the fountain outside of Brotman Hall as part of the CSU-wide Candlelight Vigil of Hope around 5 p.m on Tuesday. Keynote speaker and Women’s Resource Center Outreach Coordinator Pamela Rayburn will share her story involving suicide.

“Our purpose is to bring a community together and support one another,” said Coordinator of Project OCEAN Jane Duong. “There is hope, and we are not alone in our struggles.”

On Thursday, the Move For a Mile Fun Walk will take place, promoting participants to move into a healthier life by sneaking in a walk whenever they can like during a quick lunch, Anderson said.

It begins at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center anywhere from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and ends at the Student Health Services building. Along the way, “fun stations” will offer activities where walkers can take selfies, test their balance and fitness skills and attempt coordination challenges.

The first 100 people to register will win a free pedometer, the student group or department with the most finishers will be awarded $100 and the first 200 people to finish will win a free smoothie.

Around 50 campus organizations, such as Counseling and Psychological Services, student clubs and external exhibitors took part in the fair.