Suspect Linked to Previous Crimes Arrested After Stealing iPad

University Police arrested Timothy Rodriguez, 23, on Oct. 14 for stealing an iPad; University Police suspect that he was involved with multiple thefts of electronic devices on campus in 2012.

A student studying in the Horn Center on Oct. 30, 2012, noticed a man pacing near her study area at computer 123 just before she received a phone call. She left the area to talk, when she returned the man and her white iPad 2 were missing. She reported the theft to police giving a description of a “white male, six feet tall, medium build, with dark brown hair and a full beard.”

On Nov. 8, 2012, police received a call reporting the return of the Rodriguez to the Horn Center. Officers arrived on the scene and found Rodriguez with two other subjects. Neither Rodriguez or his associates were students and had “no reason to be on campus.”

They did have backpacks and notebooks, most likely to help them blend in, Captain Christopher Schivley said. The subjects were detained and questioned, but there was no evidence that they had committed a crime. The subjects were released and issued a stay away order for trespassing.

According to a press release on the University Police Department’s website, a student reported her iPad was stolen on Oct. 14, 2014. The student told police she left her iPad unattended inside the University Main Library. Lt. Richard Goodwin said the suspect fled on a long board skateboard. Later that day “police positively identified the suspect and tracked him down off campus,” the release said. Goodwin said the suspect was arrested at his residence, and the property was returned to the victim undamaged.

After arresting Rodriguez, Schivley said police discovered he is currently on probation. Rodriguez was held at Long Beach City Jail. Police are seeking a permanent stay away from campus. If the stay is granted police will be able to arrest him for trespassing if he comes on campus.

Police are not able to release information on how he was identified and tracked down because Rodriguez has yet to be convicted.

“Until it goes to court, we don’t want to release any of our investigative techniques because if this subject knows, and his defense attorney knows, he can try to find alibis,” Schivley said.

Stolen Bicycles recovered

A Press Release issued by University Police indicated that a Campus Security Officer witnessed two men riding bicycles between Merriam Way and Lot 19 on Oct. 15 at 11:20 p.m. One of the men seen by the CSO was carrying a bicycle wheel.

Police went to the area and found men matching the CSO’s description; the two men were later identified as Peter Armendariz and Austin Martinez. As police drove towards the individuals, the two attempted to elude officers. They located them on the backside of Parkside and detained them.

Captain Christopher Schivley said that the bicycles the men were riding both had CSULB licenses on them. The bikes had been registered with University Police. They called the numbers associated with the bicycle’s registration and matched them to two students living in Hillside. The students confirmed they had not given anyone permission to ride their bicycles. The release also stated the men had bolt cutters on them.

After running a law enforcement systems check, Armendariz was found to be “one of the men detained had four warrants for his arrest with bail amounts in excess of $60,000,” the press release said. Both men were arrested and booked for charges including: possession of stolen property, possession of burglary tools and bicycle theft, the release said.

Schivley said these men do not belong on campus, and if they are seen, students should notify police.