Immigration issues surface on campus

The Metropolitan and Policy Studies Network (M.A.P.S) gave a lecture on the current immigration system and the difficulties of immigrated families at Cal State Long Beach in the Anatol Center on Tuesday afternoon.

Alicia Morales, an attendee at the M.A.P.S lecture, was once an undocumented immigrant; she said she wants to see students understand current immigration issues and become politically active.

“As students, it’s our responsibility to become aware of these issues,” CSULB graduate Morales said.

“Why don’t you get legalized? Why don’t you just do it the right way?” Morales said, explaining what people would tell her. “Well let me tell you, it takes 10 years,” she would fire back.

“We’re having a refugee crisis, and we’re not responding very well,” said presenter Alma Castro, Human Rights advocate and volunteer for the American Immigrants Lawyers association (AILA).

M.A.P.S presented facts about family centers in the U.S, press coverage of immigration, international laws and figures of immigration in the United States.

“We all have the individual responsibility to make sure Human Rights and constitutional rights are upheld in this country. We may think it’s just the governments job, but it’s our job,” Castro said.

Unaccompanied youths totaling 57,000 have crossed the border from October of 2013 to June of 2014, most from Central America’s Northern Triangle- Guatemala, Honduras and El Savador. Most are girls under the age of 13, and 75,000 more are expected by the end of 2014, according to the M.A.P.S presentation

Norma Chinchilla, professor of sociology and executive director of Long Beach Immigrant Rights Coalition (LBIRC), brought up anti-immigration concerns of allowing immigrants into school systems.

“Is the system ready to break down if we admit all these children? Will our schools fall apart if we admit these children? Will our children be infected with diseases from these children that don’t even speak English?” Chinchilla asked.

According to M.A.P.S, in 2013 the U.S removed 369,000 undocumented migrants, an increase of nine times compared with 20 years ago.

Alex Mohtashem, a senior film and electronics major, was told about the event by his teacher and wanted to hear more information about it.

“I’ve been involved with different immigrant causes, so I came to support,” Mohtashem said. The film student has worked for the Long Beach Immigrant Rights Coalition (LBIRC).

Morales said she agrees with the speakers, and wants people and students to understand and take the time to understand undocumented students or someone in the community who is hurting or isolated.

“It doesn’t hurt to extend your hand and ask people “How can I help?” Morales said.