CSULB Women’s Research Center receives $200,000 grant toward sexual assault prevention

The California State University, Long Beach Women’s Research Center received a $200,000 grant from the California Emergency Services for a comprehensive sexual assault program.

Jeane Caveness, the assistant dean of students announced to the Associated Students, Inc. Senate during Wednesday’s ASI Senate meeting that the grant would be renewable for up to two more years for potentially $600,000.

“We are looking at prevention programming practices and doing in depth assessment,” Caveness said.

The Women’s Research Center provides CSULB women with an equitable learning environment for women and men who will lead women’s full participation in all aspects of society.

Caveness said that the grant was awarded to CSULB because of ASI’s contribution of presenting a full-page marketing campaign.

“I believe that those who value this grant, felt that students were heard, students were at the table; in formulation of the plans and that was a big plus for us,” Caveness said.

The grant will give the Women’s Research Center a full time sexual assault and crisis councilor who will help facilitate a prevention program.

Caveness also stated that an ASI member would sit on a “coordinated campus response team,” which will help Caveness to expedite the grant.

Larisa Hamada, Director of Equity and Diversity discussed with the ASI Senate the Educational Amendment Title IX and how a university should properly handle a sexual assault case.

“We are constantly … making sure our students have a safe working and learning environment here at CSULB,” Hamada said.

Title IX of the Educational Amendment of 1972 prohibits discrimination based on sex in all educational programs and activities run by the university.

The Office of Equity and Diversity provides students with leadership and direction in order to achieve a campus free from discrimination and provides equal opportunity for CSULB students.

“If any of our employees, faculty or staff are notified that a student has been sexually assaulted by another student on our campus, they are required to report it to me,” said Hamada.

During their course of their university studies, one out of five students will experience some type of sexual assault.

Hamada also said that she is working closely with Caveness and the grant money that she has received.

“Dr. Caveness has been a wonderful advocate, tremendous support and resource to use,” Hamada said. “She has an amazing grant that is going to really power house our campus and highlight really great work and has already been doing some wonderful prevention programs and partners with us.”

The Women’s Research Center is located on the first floor of the Liberal Arts 1 in room 102 and the office of Equity and Diversity is located in the University Student Union room 301.