Big money towards big drought

In efforts to tackle the state’s on-going drought issue, Governor Jerry Brown announced last week that he joined a $1 billion-dollar legislation on the subject.

The legislation proposes to “expedite bond funding to make the state more resilient to the disastrous effects of climate change and help ensure that all Californians have access to local water supplies,” a press release from the California Government stated.

Brown, along with Senate President pro Tempore Kevin de Leon and assembly member Kristen Olsen, intends to use the legislation to combat the drought by providing relief in the form of flood protection, water infrastructure updates and water recycling referendums to Californians who have been significantly affected.

“The drought isn’t letting up, so we can’t either…” assembly speaker Toni Atkins said in the press release. “Since our skies are still clear our job is too. Making sure we meet emergency needs, prepare for short term problems and advance longer-term projects are an important part of [the legislation].”

Over 30 appropriations are included in the new drought package, ranging from water storage funding to food assistance proposals.

Brown has made efforts to fight California’s drought since his Drought Task Force initiative in 2013, which was quickly followed by the governor’s declaration of a drought state of emergency.

“There’s no question California’s drought crisis has worsened,” Senate Republican Leader Bob Huff said in a press release. “With the summer months approaching, it’s incumbent on all Californians to be responsible with how they use water. It’s critical that we act now.”

Governor Brown will begin implementing water restrictions as the legislation moves forward, the Los Angeles Times reported.

I read an article somewhere that stated personal use of water by people (e.g. showering, washing dishes, drinking, etc.) only accounted for 4% of usage in California while agriculture accounted for 80% of usage. I don’t know how true this is, but maybe someone at the Daily 49er can do some research on this. It’d be really good to know because people at home are doing all these things to save water but it only accounts for 4% (if that percentage really is true).