The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics to receive $130,000 for student research

Students from the College of Natural Science and Mathematics are able to apply for a fifth of the $130,000 Beckman Scholarship for 3-year research projects.

CSULB is one of the dozen universities nation-wide that received a grant from the grant program this year.

The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics received the grant to support five Beckman Scholars starting in summer 2015, according to a CSULB press release.

“[The grant] can be transformative for recipients because it allows them to engage in a very intense and continuous amount of research,” said Maryanne Horton, the senior director of development for the College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics.

Under the guidance of a mentor, the scholars will pursue a research project and perform research activities part-time during one academic year and full-time over two summers, Horton said.

In the nation, California receives the most Mathematical and Physical Sciences awards from the National Science Foundation, with 1,224 active awards totaling over $1 billion according to NSF reports

Based on the NSF report on the California State University system, CSULB receives the second most awards annually. At five total, CSULB ties with CSU Los Angeles. CSU Fullerton ties with San Diego State for the most awards at ten total.

A faculty committee will select the scholars, which will be announced by mid May, through interviews, where the finalists will discuss their research plans, the values of the research experience and leadership development in their educational and career plans, Horton said.

Each Beckman Scholar will receive $26,000, with $21,000 specifically for the scholar and $5,000 for the scholar’s mentor, according to the press release.

“[Award recipients] build a bond with a mentor or a faculty member and [they] are more likely to come back to campus and want to be part of the campus,” and “the gift ends up boosting student achievement,” CSULB Executive Director of News Michael Uhlenkamp said.

In previous years, 19 CSULB students were awarded, of which 80 percent went on to doctoral programs, 85 percent continued in advanced graduate work, and 100 percent remained in and contributed to science, technology and medical disciplines, according to CNSM website.

Recipients can research any topic relating to biochemistry, such as reproductive research in biology, brain research in chemistry, wetland restoration research and water toxicity, Horton said.

The grant is adding to the Declare Campaign’s goal to raise $225 million by Dec. 2015, and as of Feb. 28 the campaign raised $213 million according to the I Declare website.

Of the donations made to CSULB, 97 percent are for a specific program or cause and the programs that receives those funds determined how those funds are spent, Uhlenkamp said.

“Whether it’s a gift that goes directly to renovations and facility or for scholarships its providing access and new opportunities for [students] to do better in their field and have that transformative educational experience and then go out into the community and then give back,” Uhlenkamp said.

Students donating for other students are about building a new culture of philanthropy to pay it forward, and alumni donations are about paying it back, Uhlenkamp said.

The Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation give grants to promote research in the life sciences and chemistry to support excellence in training of the next generation of scientific leaders in biological and chemistry research, according to the Beckman Scholars website.

“We have a faculty that is very research active and they are very successful in winning grants to support their research,” Horton said.

Applications for the Beckman Scholars Program are due Monday, April 20.