LB enforces new spay and neuter ordinance for dogs

Under the new law, all dogs six months or older must be spayed or neutered.

Nicca Panggat, News Editor

Long Beach pet owners will be required to spay or neuter any dogs six months or older by Oct. 1, according to a press release by the city.

The new neutering law aims to reduce the number of unwanted pets around the city with a goal of establishing Long Beach as “pet-friendly,” the statement said.

“Long Beach has made great strides in educating pet owners,” said Vice Mayor Suja Lowenthal in the press release. “And this ordinance is an important part of our ongoing efforts to be the safest large city for people and pets.”

Dogs with a valid license from Long Beach Animal Care Service prior to Oct. 1 are exempt from the mandatory neutering law as long as the license is kept current.

Alongside the ordinance, Long Beach City Council also voted to waive all late fees associated with pet licenses in an effort to encourage pet owners to maintain updated licenses.

Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia said in a statement that licensed pets are reunited faster with their owners and even eligible for a free ride home the first time they are found.

“I will continue to champion that responsible neighbors, in this case responsible pet owners, should be able to maintain their status,” said Councilwoman Stacy Mungo in the press release. “If you have an intact pet, as long as your license doesn’t lapse, you will be able to maintain your existing status.”

The amnesty lasts until Sept. 30, after which all related fees will be re-instated, according to the press release.

Violations of the new law are subject to $100-500 in fines.