Thief, interrupted: Parkside has string of bike thefts

University Police received a call concerning a bike theft in progress around Building K at Parkside Commons on Sept. 8 at 3:30 p.m. The suspect was described as a white male in his 40’s with facial hair, wearing shorts and a white shirt. According to the reporting party witnessing the incident, the suspect was hiding bolt cutters under his shirt. The suspect cut the lock on a bike and the reporting party yelled at him, causing him to run off toward Atherton Street. Police searched around Whaley Park for the suspect, but could not find him, Goodwin said.

A bike was reported stolen from the bike racks near the backside of Building G at Parkside Commons on Sept. 8. at 11:30 a.m. Goodwin described the bike as a white Ariel brand mountain bike valued at $400.

Goodwin said another bike was reported stolen from Building H at Parkside Commons sometime between Saturday at midnight and Sunday at 5 p.m. The bike is a blue and pink Haro brand model FL24 with white handlebars.

A faculty member reported five textbooks stolen from an office in the Academic Services building on Friday. Goodwin said that the books were valued at about $470. It is so far unknown if this theft is related to a similar theft in the AS building from several weeks ago, Goodwin said.

Goodwin said a student reported a Psychology book, valued at $60, stolen from the first floor computer lab in the main Library on Sept. 9. A notebook and miscellaneous papers were also taken.

A student left her HP laptop, valued at $700-$800, out in the University Student Union and returned to find it taken Thursday, Goodwin said.

Hide your car accessories too

A student reported her tire cover on her vehicle stolen Thursday. Her vehicle was parked in Lot 14A, Goodwin said. Goodwin said that the license plate frames and paper were stolen off of a new 2015 Toyota Corolla on the third level of Parking Structure 1.

Graffiti in LA5

A vandal painted what was described as “Islamic slander” on a wall inside Liberal Arts 5 on Monday. The graffiti has since been removed.

Shots fired, not really

Police responded to a call of possible shots fired on Sunday near Parking Structures 2 and 3. It turned out to be firefighters at Station 22 on Atherton Street properly disposing of fireworks by setting them off. Goodwin said that the noise from the fireworks was probably echoing through the structures, causing it to sound like gunshots.