CSULB library to see new upgrades

Students at California State University, Long Beach may see new changes to the campus library as early as the end of the semester, according to Associated Students Inc.’s weekly meeting on Wednesday.

The renovations will begin in the next few weeks and will hopefully finish at the end of the fall semester or by spring semester at the latest, according to ASI officials.

Associated Dean of Library Services Tracy Mayfield said during the meeting that one big plan is to add more outlets to the library’s study areas.

The end goal is a “plug for every student at every seat,” said Roman Kochan, the dean of Library Services at CSULB.

Other changes discussed were bars along the library windows with stools to add more seats, all of which would be equipped with outlets as well, and added bolts to the tables to hold them down.

Books on the second floor will also be relocated to add more room for a study area, but it is unknown where their new, permanent locations will be.

ASI Sen. David Kling and Vice President Miriam Hernandez both voiced concerns about overall funding for the renovations. Mayfield said that the construction would be paid for entirely using general funds already existing in the university library’s budget.