Long Beach community holds vigil for injured hotel worker

The crowd of supporters bowed their heads in prayer, raising cardboard candle cutouts to the sky as a tearful father addressed the growing crowd from behind the podium.

Long Beach community members held a prayer vigil on Wednesday for the recovery of Claudia Sanchez, who suffered a coma after working a 14-hour shift at the Long Beach Renaissance Hotel.

Claudia, a 20-year-old dishwasher, collapsed while leaving her shift at the hotel in April. An ambulance took Claudia to a hospital, where a CT scan revealed a cerebral hemorrhage, said Adan Alvarez, a communication specialist for the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy.

Fernando Sanchez, Claudia Sanchez’s father, said that she is out of a coma but cannot walk on her own or say more than just a few words. Fernando also said that Claudia remains immobile on the right side of her body and is in great pain.

“After all Claudia has been through, after all the hard work she gave to the Renaissance, we feel the least we can ask of them is that Claudia receive the care she needs to recover,” Fernando said tearfully.

According to a press release from LAANE, the Renaissance has currently denied all claims for workers compensation for Claudia’s injury. The press release called on hotel administrators to “do the right thing” by taking responsibility for her injuries and reverse its decision.

Following the prayer segment of the vigil, the crowd marched into the Renaissance to deliver a letter to the hotel administrators.

“Our hearts are with Claudia, but we should respect privacy, and this is a private matter,” said Renaissance General Manager Pam Ryan, addressing the crowd. “At the Marriott we take care of our people, and as much as I have empathy, I cannot comment on that.”

Among the supporters and colleagues, 13-year hotel employee Jose Diaz publicly expressed his solidarity with Claudia.

“We love her and we miss her,” Diaz said standing at the podium. “It is not the same to be here without her happy attitude.”

Wednesday’s vigil is only one of a few recent events organized in order to bring attention to the issues hotel workers face in Long Beach.

In July, protesters marched Downtown to pressure officials to do more to protect hotel workers. Attorneys for employees of the Westin Hotel also filed a lawsuit against administrators in August. This month, Long Beach Coalition organizers hosted the Pillowcase Project, an art event displaying pillowcases with expressions of support for hotel workers.

The hospitality industry now employs approximately 10 percent of the working population, not the largest, but still a sizeable, growing portion of the community said California State University, Long Beach Sociology Professor Gary Hytrek.

The leisure and hospitality sector of Long Beach has grown partially because of changes in the city’s economic structure shifting away from manufacturing, Hytrek said.

Leisure and hospitality workers average payroll was $20,812, the lowest among 12 other sectors listed in a 2011 report on Long Beach’s economy by CSULB’s Office of Economic Research.

Hytrek noted that publicly funded policy initiatives has repositioned the city as a tourist destination.

“I don’t think anyone has a problem with that,” Hytrek said. ‘What we are concerned with is if taxpayer money was used to pay subsidies those firms ought to be held to a high standard such as livable wages and work standards.”

Protesters are set to gather in front the Renaissance Hotel again on Thursday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. to support hotel employees entangled in labor disputes with hotel administrators.