CSU, News

More problems call for more money

A proposed increase in tuition has yielded mixed reactions from Cal State Long Beach students.

“I’m very anti-tuition increase,” said fifth year international studies major Marian Abboud. “It’s the state’s responsibility to find state funding, they always keep talking about raising tuition being a solution, but they need to find funding from other places to put into education.”

In its draft state, the proposal outlines increases in tuition as means of incentive for students to complete their degrees in a timely manner. Additional factors of the proposal include funding for updated software and support of a year-round calendar to increase enrollment.

“To meet the State’s college degree deficit, the State needs to consider new approaches for funding the university,” said Toni Molle, the Director of Public Affairs for the California State University Chancellor’s Office. “The CSU’s budget is currently discretionary and annual funding is unpredictable and volatile.”

As stated in the proposal, the demand for enrollment has exceeded exponentially and leaves few alternatives to meet the high requirement needed to accommodate students.

“The current financial model is not sustainable in the long run and now threatens access to the high quality education offered at CSU campuses,” said Molle. “[We] will continue to honor the provisions of the Governor’s multi-year funding plan, which includes a commitment to stabilize tuition fees through 2016-17.”

Under the plan implemented by Governor Jerry Brown, the CSU systems have not seen an increase in tuition for the past four years. The plan provides for cumulative increases in state funding for higher education systems.

“Well, in some cases students need to understand that if you want nice things, you have to pay more money,” said human development major Ruby Elliott. “So while we all wish we could go to school for free, tuition raises are usually necessary to give the students the best college experience they can have.”

Inflationary increases in healthcare as well as pensions have contributed to both University of California and CSU systems arguing against extended periods without increased tuition.

Other students on campus fail to share the same sentiment as Elliott.

“I think a tuition increase would be really unfortunate because I think one of the major draws of the Cal State system is that it is so cheap,” said sophomore journalism major Sabrina Mongiello. “I think that instead of raising tuition for the students, they should find some way in their state budget to designate more money to go towards students.”

While the current proposal remains in its draft stage, the committee’s November board meeting is set to address the report. The final proposal will be due in January.

Meanwhile, CSULB students can breathe easily.

“CSU has no plans to raise tuition in 2015-16 or 2016-17,” said Molle.

President Conoley declined to comment on the proposed tuition increases.