Hacking into funds for a 24-hour event

Association of Computing Machinery hacked its way into next spring’s event schedule when the Associated Students, Inc. Board of Control allocated $5,364 for the 24-hour “Beach Hacks” event.

The BOC also approved grants, discussed travel rates and postponed proposals for budgets on Tuesday.

Aerospace Engineering major Faiqa Anbreen was approved for a $400 travel grant to go to the 68th annual meeting of the American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics. Anbreen has been working on research that she will be presenting at the meeting in Boston in late November. Her research includes an airborne wind turbine that is capable of propelling a boat that she designed.

“It’s going to cover a part of [my travels] and the registration fee,” Anbreen said. “I’m very thankful for for the student incorporations. It’s really good that they’re helping students … $400 is a lot and I’m very thankful.”

The BOC also discussed travel rates in preparation for a vote at next week’s meeting. The proposal is to increase the amount of money ASI will refund for traveling by 14 cents to 57.5 cents per mile, ASI Treasurer Wendy Lewis said.

“The cap will be on the amount of miles or radius that we are going to refund,” Lewis said. “We didn’t change it. It’s still going to be 300 [miles] it’s going to be 150 each way.”

BOC approved a request for $176 for the 3D scanning of Native American artifacts for the LAN-270 Reburial Project for and a Facility Fee reduction request of $700 for the Campus Couture fashion show. LAN-270 is an excavation site on campus off of Beach Dr. near the International House.

Postponed for next meeting was the African Student Union funds after not having a detailed proposal for the month long series of events for Black History Month.