Senate discusses mental health support

Associated Students, Inc. Senate discussed Wednesday a resolution to provide additional mental health services for students for when the Genocide Awareness Project brings its display to campus.

The resolution passed its second reading and states that when groups such as GAP come to campus and show graphic images to gain awareness of their cause, it can trigger mental health needs for students.

“Obviously we cannot tell this group that they can’t do that because that’s a violation of their first amendment rights, so that’s why this was a resolution to provide support for students,” Sen. Vanessa Coover said.

The resolution, drafted by Sens. Coover and Logan Vournas, states that ASI will provide on-site counselors, as well as signs that warn students when graphic images will be ahead and suggest an alternate route if a student does not wish to see the display.

During the public comments, Secretary of City Affairs Gabriel Avila spoke to the senate about Grupo Folklorico Mexica being unable to host the CSU Folklorico Show for 2016 because of an inability to book the theater on campus. The group decided to ask the founders, Los Danzantes De Aztlan at Fresno State, to host it in Fresno when they could not secure a theater space, on or off campus, which was large enough.

“There’s something to say about this situation, because we can think: how many other groups or how many other club entities, perhaps have had the same thing happen to them? And I’d like to see that diminish,” Avila said.

Sen. Kelsey Kimmes mentioned that clubs and organizations getting big enough spaces for their events has been a problem.

Vice President Miriam Hernandez said that she and President Jose Salazar are working together on a resolution to take a stance on the Friday class proposal that will force departments to utilize classroom space on Fridays.

There will be an ASI Town Hall meeting Thursday at 4 p.m. at The Pointe in the Walter Pyramid. The meeting is aimed at freshmen and students in housing, and students can bring any concerns or complaints to ASI at the meeting.