Relax your mind

The stress of test taking is on every college student’s mind at one point or another. But as finals approach, how you deal with that stress could make all the difference.

A seminar on test anxiety encouraged students on Wednesday to take charge of their mind, and allow themselves to think positive thoughts before taking a test.

The seminar, called Making College a Breeze: Passing Test with Ease, was presented by Rob Michael Schlesinger, a hypnotherapist and life coach, and gave students tips on how to improve their studying habits using hypnosis.

“When people hear about hypnosis they kind of freak out, as did I,” Schlesinger said.

Schlesinger’s experience with hypnosis began because he wanted to use it as a tool to combat his cerebral palsy. After meeting with a hypnotist Schlesinger said he was able to combat his disability and take control of his right arm for the first time in 10 years.

“Hypnosis is dealing with the subconscious mind,” Schlesinger said.

Schlesinger gave an example of hypnosis and how it relates to everyday life. When people are driving in their cars and find themselves further down a freeway than they remember driving, it is because they are dealing with “white-line hypnosis.”

“You’re thinking, but you’re still aware,” Schlesinger said. “Your mind is so powerful you are getting where you need to go but you don’t remember how you got there.”

Hypnosis does not necessarily have to be you looking at a pendulum, Schlesinger said. Hypnosis can also be just thinking positive thoughts to yourself throughout the day or even before a test.  

Schlesinger gave students tips on how to center themselves before an exam which include taking deep long breaths, going to a happy place when closing your eyes and feeding yourself positive energy.

“Use positive affirmations; the more you think them and the more you say them it goes into your subconscious mind,” Schlesinger said during his presentation.

Attendees of the seminar were able to learn tips on how to do self-hypnosis and how to be successful at taking tests. The seminar was a part of the Disabled Students Services Office at California State University, Long Beach.

According to the Disabled Student Services website, they offer services to students who have disabilities in order to ensure educational equality at CSULB.

The seminar was open for all students to attend, but the main focus was to target students who have physical and mental disabilities, Schlesinger said. Hypnosis provides students with a new way of studying and believing in themselves.

“When you do hypnosis you’re doing all positive thoughts,” Schlesinger said. “ Negative thoughts bring negative results.”