Fake firearm draws police guns out

Police responded to a call about a man carrying a gun at Parking Lot 13 near the Walter Pyramid on Dec. 4 at 11:30 a.m. After seeing multiple individuals in the area through the security cameras, police arrived to inspect the situation. According to Lt. Richard Goodwin of University Police, the police had “taken control of the subjects via gunpoint” and found out the reported weapon was an airsoft rifle upon inspection. All of the individuals involved were cooperative with police.

Goodwin recommends that anyone working in a theatrical production or a student film must first report a firearm prop with University Police so it can be inspected and give the crew proper clearance to use it.

“Even though it may look like something fake, a total toy looking thing, doesn’t matter,” Goodwin said. “In case if someone sees it, and especially in light of a mass shooting in San Bernardino or Paris attacks, all of these things go out nowadays. People are on heightened alert and as a community, we need to be cognizant in that.”

Man arrested for sudden yelling

A student reported a man yelling, “Get the hell out of here!” in the dining plaza nearby Starbucks and SqueezeMe on Dec. 3 at 10:30 a.m. The reporting party said the man did not talk or touch anyone in the area and described the man as a white male with a thin build and short dark hair, wearing dark glasses, a red sweater and a dark colored backpack. Police responded to the call and arrested the man, 58-year-old Richard Lynn and booked him in Long Beach City Jail.

Underage drinker found stumbling around Lot 14D

Goodwin said that witnesses reported a suspicious person for checking car doors in Lot 14D on Dec. 2 at 4:46 p.m. Upon arrival, University Police discovered the suspect, a 19-year-old, was intoxicated. Police cited the suspect for underage drinking and public intoxication. The suspect was detained and held at the main University Police station until he was released to his mother. Goodwin said the suspect might not be affiliated with the campus.

Stolen phone tracked at Parkside dorms

A victim of cell phone theft reported the incident at the University Police station on Dec. 7 at 11:30 a.m. Goodwin said the victim tracked her stolen phone to the Parkside dorms and police have yet to recover her phone.

Thief steals charging laptop

A laptop theft was reported by the victim on Dec. 1 at Liberal Arts 5, Goodwin said. According to the victim, he left his laptop charging in Room 152 around 2 p.m. When he returned at 6 p.m., he found his laptop was stolen. The laptop was described as a silver Dell Inspiron 15 valued at $700.

Broken scooter stolen

A student reported Dec. 1 that his scooter was stolen from Lot 5, Goodwin said. The 25-year-old victim left his scooter at the motorcycle parking spot on Oct. 10 because it was broken two weeks prior, and on Nov. 5, he discovered that his scooter was stolen. He describes the scooter as black 2014 Zhng SSR.