President Jane Close Conoley announces CSULB’s pick for provost

Out of nearly 100 candidates, President Jane Close Conoley selected Brian Jersky as Cal State Long Beach’s new provost and senior vice president of academic affairs.

Jersky, originally from South Africa, is currently dean of the College of Science at Cal Poly Pomona, according to Close Conoley in the Jan. 4 announcement. 

As provost, Jersky will be responsible for collaborating with the president to set academic priorities and manage the budget to that end.

The most important issues for all of us to tackle are making sure that we use our resources as efficiently as we can, in order to provide the high quality education that students deserve,” Jersky said in an email. “Among other things, this will require additional tenure-track faculty hiring, continuing improvement in our graduation rates, and innovative interdisciplinary research and teaching initiatives.”

He will be replacing David Dowell, who is retiring at the end of the academic year after 37 years at CSULB, according to a statement.

Dr. Brian Jersky has impeccable academic credentials and a deep commitment to student success. I am excited he will be our next provost,” Close Conoley said in a statement. “I’m confident Dr. Jersky will advance our university by developing innovative ways to encourage and support faculty and students in their aspirations for excellence.”

Jersky was a professor at Macquarie University for a year in Sydney, Australia and dean of the School of Science at Saint Mary’s College of California for four years, according to a statement. He also spent 15 years at Sonoma State University in a variety of positions, including assistant professor of Mathematics, chair of Mathematics and director of academic planning and resources in the School of Science and Technology.

“Although I am excited and pleased to become part of the CSU Long Beach community, I am sad to leave my many friends and colleagues at Cal Poly Pomona,” Jersky said. “I hope to continue to work productively with all of them in my new position, although naturally in a different way.”

Jersky will officially fill his new position June 1 of this year.