Construction for a new student drop off will continue despite potential noise

The number one priority during construction for the new drop off zone on West Campus Drive is the students.

According to Mark Zakhour, senior construction manager of Design and Construction Services, the $1.4 million West Campus Drop Off Project was designed to be constructed in two phases.

“The contractors are required to finish all the loud demolition of the concrete by [Jan.] 18 before school starts,” Zakhour said. “So there will be no breaking of concrete or anything that is really disruptive […] because there are classrooms nearby. And they’re also supposed to be done with the work requiring them to close lanes on West Campus Drive because the first week of school there is a lot of traffic, obviously.”

According to Zakhour, the construction is scheduled to take place from 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., while several classes are in session. He said that “all the loud, loud work will be done by [Jan] 19.”

Zakhour said he is aware that the mere fact of an active construction presence carries the possibility of interrupting class, but he said it will “not be as bad as breaking concrete.”

Some students said they are concerned about the noise on campus.

Rene Horneman, graduate anthropology student, recalled her history with construction on the Liberal Arts buildings in previous semesters.

“When they were doing the LA building, there were times when you absolutely could not even hear the professor,” she said.

Horneman described the possibility for problems this semester.

“In the past, [the construction] was real disruptive — more disruptive than I certainly thought it would be — so I’m sure this will probably be the same.”

Olivia Winkley, a junior history major, said she expected professors to have to speak louder for students to hear them over the noise.

Zakhour was aware of the potential problems.

“We gave [professors] our contact information, so if it is disruptive, we can shut the job down,” Zakhour said. “Or if they’re giving a special test or something’s happening, we can coordinate with them, make a call and shut [the construction] down real quick.

“Obviously, students are the number one priority.”

Construction will continue until the end of March, according to Zakhour, so students and faculty will have to endure the noise, or lack thereof, until then.

why dont they work on making another parking structure so students dont have to spend hours before class looking for parking?