California Pizza Kitchen sponsors Nohemi Gonzalez Department of Design fundraiser

For two days, 20 percent of proceeds will go to a student fund to improve the department where Nohemi was a student and assistant.

In the wake of the Friday the 13th 2015 Paris attacks, CSULB students, faculty, and the Long Beach community honor the memory of Nohemi Gonzalez. Nohemi was a design student at CSULB and was studying abroad in Paris when her life was taken during the attacks.

Ben Hammerton, Contributing Photographer

Ariana Sawyer, News Editor

California Pizza Kitchen is sponsoring a fundraiser Monday and Tuesday this week in honor of Nohemi Gonzalez, the Cal State Long Beach student killed in the Paris terrorist attacks Nov. 13, 2015.

The money raised will go toward a CSULB fund supporting students in the Department of Design where Nohemi was a senior industrial design student, according to a statement from Department Chair Martin Herman.

“This department, its studios and shops, were very important to Nohemi and is where she spent most of her time,” design department alumnus Tim Mraz, who was Nohemi’s boyfriend, said in a statement. “Our goal is to fund-raise enough to name one of the student shops after her, since it is where she devoted most of her time, improving, creating, connecting and inspiring.”

Nohemi was eating at La Belle Equipe when terrorists opened fire on the restaurant. She was in Paris studying abroad at the Strate School of Design.  

The Southern California pizza chain has agreed to donate 20 percent of sales to the fundraiser. Anyone who shows up with a flyer can participate at any of the 19 locations involved. The flyer is located in the design department’s webpage.

“With your help she can continue to make this positive impact on the department and its students,” Mraz said. “Improving the department was always something she talked about with me, and it would mean a lot to make one of her dreams a reality.”

Herman says that the fund has been approved by the Gonzalez family and the university.