Campus, Long Beach, News

Long Beach Transit announces new bus schedules

Due to change in demand of public transportation, Long Beach Transit announced new service changes that will take effect on Feb. 7.

Since many students typically end their school day between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., westbound bus lines 91, 92, 93, 94 and 96 will arrive every 8 minutes instead of 10 during that time. Westbound service of Line 171 will also add one more trip during the same period. LBT has added an additional trip to line 121 due to the high demand and will arrive every 16-18 minutes instead of 20.

The public transit system in Long Beach currently serves 28 million people, including areas reaching Compton, Carson, Artesia, Los Alamitos, Seal Beach, Norwalk, Bellflower, Cerritos, Paramount and Hawaiian gardens. The routes of major lines will remain unchanged, except for the Passport service, and students at Cal State Long Beach may be served better during times of high demand.

The Passport service, which still is being offered for free, will have a rescheduled route in order to serve popular destinations in the downtown areas, including the business districts and the East Village Arts districts.

The first and last hour of service on the Passport line will run every 60 minutes instead of 30 due to low demand.

For more on changes to LBT routes, go to www.lbtransit.com.