Students get free condoms in University Student Union bathrooms

The Center for Latino Community Heath installed free condom dispensers in several restrooms throughout campus Monday.

The dispensers are located in five restrooms on campus: The male and female restrooms on the second and third floors of the University Student Union, the gender neutral restroom on the first floor and the male and female restrooms in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

The condom dispensers were a direct result of a needs assessment, in which students between the ages 18 and 24 were asked for ways in which to better the university and community itself.

Their test results highlighted that a high percentage of students aware of the risks continue to engage in the potentially life-altering sexual activity, both on and off campus.

The Cal State Long Beach Center for Latino Community Health, Associated Students, Inc. and Bienestar Health Services collaborated in the hope of raising student awareness concerning the negative side effects of practicing unprotected sex.

This project, funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, is part of a two-year plan with an end goal of informing students of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, like Hepatitis C and HIV, while promoting the practice of safe and protected sex by making condoms more accessible.

Diana Aguirre, a 30-year-old graduate research fellow and peer health advocate at CSULB, voiced her concerns in regard to the accessibility of condoms, both on and off campus, expressing the vital need for an “environmental strategy.”

“It was surprising to learn that condoms were not already easily accessible on campus, not even sold in conveniences stores,” Aguirre said. “The Salud a la Vida initiative to have free condoms available on campus is great because it will promote safer sex among students and help reduce the high rates of STDs and HIV.”

Although the center and Bienestar are reaching the end of their two-year project, efforts to raise awareness will continue and the center will continue to stock the dispensers once the Salud a la Vida: Cheers to Life! project has ended.

The center said they strongly believe that the free provision of condoms will facilitate safe sexual health practices, ultimately decreasing the frequency of STD rates including Hepatitis C and HIV.

Mara Bird, Director of the center, said she is hopeful that the center’s labors towards a well-informed and protected student body will show results.

“Providing free, easily accessible condoms helps to promote CSULB’s culture of health,” Bird said.

In an attempt to further raise awareness, an event will be held to celebrate National Condom Day Thursday at the Maxson Plaza Room from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in order to promote responsible sexual behavior and STD awareness.

Sick article AB!