Meet the candidates: Marvin Flores

This ASI presidential candidate stresses the importance of hard work and advocacy.

Associated+Students+Inc.+presidential+candidate+Marvin+Flores+and+vice+presidential+candidate+Logan+Vournas+pose+together.+

Meet the candidates: Marvin Flores

Associated Students Inc. presidential candidate Marvin Flores and vice presidential candidate Logan Vournas pose together.

Photo courtesy of Marvin Flores

Photo courtesy of Marvin Flores

Photo courtesy of Marvin Flores

Ariana Sawyer, News Editor

Marvin Flores gets things done.

“That’s how I was raised — if you want something you have to work for it.”

Originally from Anaheim, Flores, 21, is a first generation student and could be the next Associated Students Inc. president if he wins the election in March. He’s been a senator-at-large for the last three years. His running mate is Logan Vournas, another senator-at-large.

Both of his parents are from a small pueblo in Mexico.

“They basically came here to create a better future for me and my sisters,” Flores said. “I’m taking advantage of what they did for me.”

Flores, who will be a senior next year, studies history with an emphasis in world and U.S. history. He wants to pursue a career teaching in middle school, high school and, eventually, community college.

In an effort to tell students more about himself before the campaign, Flores spoke with the Daily 49er.

How did you decide to run for president?

I am a first generation student and growing up, my parents would always tell me to stand up for what I believed in and help others whenever they needed it. Being able to make a positive difference in the lives of our students, even if it is just a couple of students, makes this opportunity even more rewarding.

What are the major issues you intend to focus on?

There are several goals I want to accomplish to resolve issues that face students that include:

-Allowing more student-at-large positions on university committees and boards

– Establish a parking reform to make parking more accessible for students and aware of which lots/structures actually have a parking spots

-Bettering the transparency between ASI and our students by holding bi-weekly town-hall meetings

– Offer more scholarships that will be available to all students from a portion of my own salary

And I would leave my door open for anyone to come in and voice their concerns

What specifically would you do to reform parking?

I would really like to work with the university to provide more parking for students. The university and ASI keep arguing back and forth, so we should find a middle ground. We are wasting time and not finding a solution.

Why would you be the best choice for ASI president?

As a senator, I have accomplished several goals that include establishing a free scooter rental program for students who go through temporary disabilities. This program is the first of its kind in the nation and was created to make the lives of our students a lot easier when having to walk around campus in crutches. Whenever a new issue arose, I took action on it and looked for ways to resolve it for the betterment of our students.

Which of your projects as senator-at-large are you most proud of?

I think I’m most proud of scooter program. A lot of people said we couldn’t do it, that the risk was too high, that it was too expensive. Students can rely on ASI to take care of their needs.

What do you do for fun?

I try and go hiking and hang out with my dog. If you aren’t taking care of yourself … things will crumble.

Is there anything else you want people to know?

I want to make our students’ experience here at CSULB the best it can by assisting them academically, financially, health-wise and in whatever form they need assistance in. My running mate, Logan Vournas, and I established the slogan #VoteStudentVoices and we plan on taking back the power in our education by raising the student voice in our university. I am here to represent you, so if you vote for me, you are voting for your voice to be heard and represented.

This story is part of a “Meet the candidates” series the Daily 49er will be doing throughout the ASI elections.