On the issues: Environment

Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., was given a 90 percent rating by the League of Conservative Voters for his voting record on pro-environmental issues. Sanders co-sponsored a bill which would prohibit commercial logging on federal public lands. He also voted in favor of an amendment to decrease funding to the “Yucca Mountain Youth Zone” website. The website featured games that promoted the dumping of nuclear waste in the Yucca Mountain. Voting in favor of the amendment also indicated opposing the use of Yucca Mountain as a national nuclear waste repository. Sanders also received a 100 percent rating from the Humane Society Legislative Fund, which rates lawmakers on their voting record in regards to animal rights.

“It is hard for me to understand how one can be concerned about climate change but not vigorously oppose the Keystone pipeline … We must make significant reduction in carbon emissions and break our dependency on fossil fuels. That is why I have helped lead the fight in the Senate against the Keystone pipeline, which would transport some of the dirtiest fossil fuel in the world.”

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton, D, has said she supports clean air energy and greater funding of the EPA.  The League of Conservative Voters gave her an 89 percent for her pro-environment voting record.  Clinton has been a proponent of reducing air pollution to improve the health of children in urban areas.  Clinton said she has consistently voted against using the Yucca Mountain as a dumping ground for nuclear waste.  The Humane Society Legislative Fund gave Clinton a 100 percent  rating for her voting record in on animal rights issues.  

“I do believe that the green-collar job piece of [the economic stimulus package] is important. That’s why I have $5 billion to do it … We could put hundreds and hundreds of young people to work right now, putting solar panels in, insulating homes. That would give them jobs and it would move us more quickly to a green economy. And I think that if you look at this from a jobs and justice, a stimulation and long-term planning effort, we need to lay down the markers now … ”

Donald Trump

Donald Trump, R, has said that if he is elected president, he would defund the Environmental Protection Agency. Trump said what the EPA does is a “disgrace.” When asked who would protect the environment, Trump said, “We’ll be fine with the environment … but you can’t destroy businesses.” He has said that climate change isn’t real, calling it a “hoax” on Fox News in 2014. In a Twitter post, which has now been deleted, Trump alleged that climate change was created by the Chinese to supress the U.S economy. Trump has proposed increasing the rate at which the U.S is drilling for oil.

In regard to a Trump golf course built in Scotland: “There were a lot of issues to be dealt with, from badger and otter protection plans to the economic value to locals. People expected a duel, which I realized, so instead I offered a partnership approach. We worked with the Scottish National Heritage, and it became clear to them that I am environmentally sensitive. I was also inclined to be sympathetic to the rich history of the area due to my own heritage. I also hired the leading expert on geomorphology, for extensive research on the 25 acres of sand dunes on this land.”

Ted Cruz

Ted Cruz, R-Texas, voted against the Water Resource Development Act of 2013. Cruz has said that if elected, he would approve the Keystone Pipeline. He co-sponsored the Federal Land Freedom Act, which would allow states to lease energy rights of public lands.

“We need an all-of-the-above energy approach that embraces the bountiful resources in this land- from oil to natural gas to ethanol. We need to open up abundant and affordable gas and electricity resources … We must harness our nation’s energy resources and remove federal impediments to energy exploration, development, and trade.”

John Kasich

John Kasich, R, has said that manmade climate change is a real issue, although the extent of it is unproven. He has been a proponent of strengthening the Clean Water Act. However, Kasich voted against allowing the EPA to implement certain regulations of the Kyoto Protocol. The Kyoto Protocol set a greenhouse and carbon emission reduction goal, but was not ratified by the U.S.

“For nearly 30 years, we have behaved as if protecting the environment was somehow at odds with the economic growth … This is a false and dangerous dichotomy; it forces unnecessary divisions between those who want to protect the environment and those who want economic progress. [We must get past] the ‘us- versus-them’ rhetoric. Economic progress and environmental conservation can and must go hand in hand for the sake of this generation and the next.”

Miranda Andrade-Ceja
Miranda Andrade-Ceja

*This article is part of a weekly series informing students of where candidates stand on the issues for the 2016 presidential elections.
**All information comes from Ontheissues.org, a nonprofit that keeps track of candidate voting records and public statements and the official websites of Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz.