Student arrested for having two knives on campus

University Police arrested a student today after receiving an anonymous report that the student was in possession of two knives, according to a campus safety notification Police Chief Fernando Solorzano.

The student, James Edward Deguzman according to the Long Beach Police Department, was said to be seen opening and closing a black knife by a student, making her feel nervous.

The 19-year-old then allegedly pulled out a second knife and had both knives open on his desk, according to the crime bulletin.

The reporting party left the classroom to notify University Police. When officers responded the Deguzman was detained for further investigation.

Deguzman was arrested and booked at Long Beach City Jail after exceeding the 2.5 inch blade allowance set forth by California Penal Code 626.10 (b).

The university will conduct multiple investigations and determine the steps it will take.

“Groups on campus have voiced concerns about safety notifications and the university is refining the process to distribute those notifications,” Solorzano said in the notification. “Please be assured that your safety is a top priority.”

So if a student with a knife doesn’t work for campus PD he is arrested & his identity immediately released? What about the privacy of this kid? This university needs to get their act together.