Campus, Long Beach, News

Student with knife no longer CSULB employee

The student who displayed a knife in a sociology class Feb. 25 is no longer employed by Cal State Long Beach police as a Community Service Officer, according to President Jane Close Conoley.

“We cannot divulge student conduct disciplinary action because of federal law, but I can share that he is no longer an employee of CSULB,” Conoley said in an email Saturday.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act protects the privacy of student education records at any institution that receives money from the U.S. Department of Education.

“The LBPD investigation is also complete and they have turned the case over to the city prosecutor who is now handling [the case],” said Michael Uhlenkamp, executive director of media and digital news.

The Long Beach Police Department took over the investigation due to a conflict of interest posed by the student’s relationship to the university as both an employee and the son of a University Police sergeant.

The 20-year-old male holding the knife was doing so from behind another female student during a heated debate. When the professor of the race, class and gender class saw the knife, she tapped the student on his shoulder and asked him to exit the classroom with her. Once outside, she told him he could not come back. According to an email from Conoley to NAACP Long Beach chapter President Naomi Rainey March 9, he did not argue and subsequently left.