CSU, News

Fight for Five blackout

The California Faculty Association and California State University have announced a two-day blackout period as they resume negotiations in order to avoid the strike set to occur April 13-15 and 18-19.

Members from both parties met on April 5 to discuss the effects the strike would have on students, faculty and administration. They decided that, in order to preserve the relationship between the CSU and CFA, it would be best to temporarily halt strike plans and forgo communication with media.

With the release of the fact finding report on March 28, which urged the CSU to consent to the 5 percent raise requested by the CFA, the CSU, instead, dissented, citing lack of available resources, and holding with their offer of a 2 percent raise.

The CFA pushed back, saying that the CSU has over $500 million in excess cash flow generated last year alone, not to mention the $2 billion in reserves. They said it was a matter of priorities, not money.

During the April 5 meeting, CFA Chapter President Jennifer Eagan said the CFA was pleased to hear Chancellor Timothy White highlight the same concerns the CFA has expressed from the beginning.

Advertisement – (Story continues below)

twitters500-x500_

The union members have continually voiced that they do not want to strike, but they will. They said they recognized the inconvenience it would have on students and faculty, but that it would be necessary to strike in order to send a message to the CSU that professors deserve a living wage.

From the start, CFA Chapter President Doug Domingo-Foraste said he hoped for such a solution to avoid the strike.

“I would like to see the administrators sit down as equal partners with the faculty,” he said. “And [discuss] what can we do to educate students well, where can we put our resources that students will be better educated and become better people, better citizens, better employees. We [the faculty] are their greatest resource.”

The current negotiations will either end in an agreement or will push “full speed ahead towards the strike,” Eagan said in a statement.

The CFA has scheduled a joint press conference with the CSU for Friday, in the hopes of announcing a new deal.