Daily 49er selects next editor-in-chief

Junior journalism major and anthropology minor Micayla Vermeeren has been selected to be the next editor-in-chief for the Daily 49er.

Outgoing and strong-willed, Vermeeren will lead the student-run newspaper for the 2016-17 academic year.

“Just when you think you knew all about red lipstick and Morrissey, Miss Micayla Vermeeren dances into the room exclaiming about another hip band panel she visited,” photo editor Trang Le said. “In truth, I have no knowledge about any of these topics, but when it comes to knowing Micayla, I know quite a bit. At first glance, the only thing you notice is her smile. Miss Vermeeren is always smiling and even when she’s stressed out … It’s what makes her, her though.”

Design editor Emilio Aldea describes Vermeeren as tenacious and hard nosed.

“She is an excellent writer and will do a fine job as the new EIC,” Aldea added.

She lists creating stronger relationships with the campus community and building on the in-depth coverage of news events among her goals for next year.

“It is an absolute honor and one of the greatest things that could have happened to me,” Vermeeren said. “A lot of great people have gotten me here, and a lot of great people will be coming along for the ride. It is going to be a great year for the paper.”

Vermeeren is the current opinions editor for the paper and previously held the position of assistant news editor. She began as a staff writer for the Daily 49er in fall 2015. She has also been a member of the Delta Zeta sorority since her freshman year at Cal State Long Beach.

Vermeeren is currently accepting applications for next semester’s Daily 49er staff. Applications can be picked up in the Daily 49er newsroom in Liberal Arts 4 room 201.

Gabriel Lefrancois

Congrats! Some of my most memorable times serving as the university magazine and summer 49er chief. Cherish every moment!

Taryn Sauer

Yes! Micayla is amazing!