University Bookstore offers guitar lounge for students

The chill and mellow sound of classic 90’s rock swept through the second floor of the Forty-niner shops, sending a warm welcome to students and customers walking by.

The guitar lounge is home to anyone who wants to jam out, relax and destress from daily schedules of college life.

Beachtech, the computer and technology department in the bookstore has made many changes in the past year, working with campus departments and students directly to deliver the service and technology knowledge.

Last year, Beachtech developed a cozy corner filled with acoustic and electric guitars, ukuleles and guitar accessories.

Scott Vandygrift, E-Commerce and Beachtech manager, said that ever since the bookstore incorporated the new development of a guitar zone, it has been beneficial for students and for the bookstore as well.

“Since the zone opened in the bookstore, it has been pretty successful, especially from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and when students are in between classes,” Vandygrift said. “The first week since we’ve been open, the ukulele sold out, but the top sellers continue to be the ukulele and acoustic guitars.”

Although, the instruments are available for the students’ enjoyment, they are also for sale along with some other accessories such as guitar picks, straps, musician gear and guitar bags.

According to Vandygrift, the guitar lounge seemed to have exceeded the 49er Shops marketing expectations with sales.

“At the same time when the guitars were available for students, we also incorporated another instrument such as the cajon furniture [a drum] that sold out within the first couple months it was available,” Vandygrift said.

“The guitar lounge has positively impacted the 49er shops, increasing traffic and sales throughout the bookstore,” according to the Forty-niner Shops’ 2015 annual report.

Nick Bullo, sophomore kinesiology major Nick Bullo comes to the guitar lounge to hang out in between classes either alone or with friends.

“I come when I feel like and when I want to start jamming, and it’s cool because it brings other musicians together, and we can all jam together,” Bullo said. “It’s a good way to pass time when you have nothing to do and you just want to de-stress yourself from classes and daily life to recollect yourself.”

Bullo is a regular at the lounge often, spending most of his breaks between classes there.

Vandygrift said that the bookstore might sell DJ equipment in the future since BeachTech already has TV’s and iPads that contain tutorial apps to learn the basics of guitar playing and turning tables.

Overall, the the lounge was a great success for students in establishing free jammin’ guitar sessions for their convenience.