CSULB’s 2016 Alumni Award Ceremony honors Nohemi Gonzalez

Nohemi Gonzalez, a senior design major, was given the Outstanding Graduate Award in the College of the Arts at the 2016 Cal State Long Beach Alumni Award Ceremony yesterday evening.

Gonzalez was studying abroad when she was killed in the Paris attacks last year.

Beatriz Gonzalez, Nohemi Gonzalez’ mom, said she was proud of her daughter for being recognized by the arts department and university.

“It’s an honor for me, for my family to be here and to receive the award,” Beatriz said. “There are no words that I can [use to] describe the happiness and everything I feel to be here today.”

Gonzalez’ mother, stepfather José and brother accepted the award on her behalf.

The crowded ballroom was filled with students, faculty, alumni and their family and friends.

Gonzalez was the first to receive an award at the ceremony.

The ceremony honored one student from each of the eight colleges at CSULB.

Aristotle Bean

In Nohemi’s memory, and from the lesson her tragic death has taught us all, I hope everyone will support the reasonable precautions advanced by Republican candidate Donald Trump to suspend immigration of Muslims refugees from terrorist countries when we know from every expert that cannot be vetted. Some terrorists who have killed Americans on our soil were found to have infiltrated the refugee program.

Trump is right, of course, and his plan will save countless American lives. The criticism of his plan is that he is not sufficiently political correct to make the Left feel good about themselves. May I suggest that it’s not all about how a leftist feels about herself or himself but what is in the best interests of America — it’s citizens, it’s children.

Janet Gonzales

Seven colleges not eight: 1) College of the Arts, 2) College of Education, 3) College of Engineering, 4) College of Business Administration, 5) College of Health and Human Services, 6)College of Liberal Arts, 7) College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.

• Ariana Sawyer
      Ariana Sawyer

You forgot the College of Continuing and Professional Education. But thanks for reaching out to make sure we have the most accurate information!